I make this recipe each year from a photocopied handwritten copy of my husband’s grandmother’s recipe. It’s extra special to see it in her own handwriting. I am amazed to see that it looks a great deal like my mother-in-laws writing, but it’s not, it’s her mother’s. Amazing how much we are like our family and how a part of them is in us. It also makes me think about how important traditions really are and how as mother’s we pass them down from mother to daughter for generations.
Our own family has only been making these cookies for a few years now, but Christmas just wouldn’t be the same now with out making these. Traditions are what bring the heritage we have into the now and we can pass that on to our children and our children’s children. They add to our celebration and observance of special times such as the holidays.
It’s my hope that you love these Italian cookies and that they may enhance your own Christmas Cookie making tradition.
Italian Knot Cookie Recipe: From Mildred Piziali
5 1/2 c. Flour
3/4 c. Butter
1 1/2 c. Sugar
1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
1/2 c. Milk
1 Tsp. Anise Extract
1 Tsp. Lemon Extract
1. Place flour in large bowl and with pastry blender cut in butter until resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in sugar and baking powder till well blended.
2. In a small bowl lightly beat eggs with milk and extracts. Stir in all flour till moistened. Turn out dough on well floured surface and knead till smooth (about 2 min.). Place back in bowl.
3. Refrigerate 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven 325 degrees.
5. Cut off small amount of dough and roll on highly floured surface into 6 inch strips. Twist /tie into knots and place on cookie sheets.
6. Bake 15 minutes or till lightly browned in oven. Remove and cool; do not over cook.
For Frosting: Mix Powdered Sugar and Milk to make glaze and add sprinkles if desired. Enjoy!
This post is a part of the series A Cookie A Day Until Christmas.
Win Crazy About Cookies
Enter to win a copy of Crazy About Cookies: 300 Scrumptious Recipes for Every Occasion & Craving by using the Rafflecopter widget below.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Stephanie has been a military spouse for 16 years and is a homeschool mom of 10+ years. She is mom to three creative kids from college grad down to third grade. Her homeschool style is eclectic with Charlotte Mason and classical influences. She and her husband of 20 years serve and live wherever the US Army sends them. She writes about her homeschool, recipes, music and more Harrington Harmonies .When she isn’t teaching, writing or moving she enjoys sightseeing, gardening, and cooking.
No purchase necessary to win. Void where prohibited. Valid only in the United States. Must be at least 18 years of age to enter. Winners will be selected by Rafflecopter and will be notified within 48 hours of the contest’s close. Selected winner’s will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen. Prizes provided by the Carlie Kercheval. Facebook is not affiliated with this giveaway and the act of liking a Facebook page is not required to win.
Latest posts by Carlie Kercheval (see all)
- Free Super Hero Teacher Appreciation Toppers - May 3, 2016
- 5 Ways to Become a Better Homemaker - April 27, 2016
- 5 Suggestions for the Unplugged Family: How and Why - April 26, 2016
- Ultimate Guide to Becoming a Blog-at-Home Mom - April 25, 2016
- 2016 Confident Mom Summer Survival Calendar (Frugal Activities, Recipes, & More!) - April 24, 2016